Since its formation in 1915, Warren Township High School District 121 has grown and evolved with its residents. From a one-story building on O’Plaine Road to two campuses located about 4.5 miles apart, Warren has seen graduating classes grow from about 25 students in the beginning to more than 900 today. There are more than 4,000 students divided between two campuses representing one comprehensive high school program for more than 61,000 residents from Gurnee, Grayslake, Waukegan, Wadsworth, Beach Park, Gages Lake, Wildwood, Grandwood Park, Millburn, Park City and Old Mill Creek.
A defining time in Warren Township High School history was December 20, 1984 when the high school building was destroyed by fire just before winter break. All students and staff moved to the Lake Forest West Campus where Warren Township High School existed from January 1985 to June 1987. Students and staff returned to Gurnee in August 1987 after the high school was rebuilt on the same site.
With enrollment continuing to spiral upward, a second campus for Warren Township High School opened in 1997 for juniors and seniors. Called the Almond Campus, it is dependent on the O’Plaine Campus for amenities such as the football field, indoor pool and auditorium.
Two prestigious awards were presented to the high school in the 1999-2000 school year with a “Those Who Excel” recognition for creating a learning community throughout the school organization and the national “Blue Ribbon School” recognition from the U.S. Department of Education.
The last major construction project was completed in 2005 which included installation of fire sprinklers and air conditioning as well as expansion of the cafeteria and library at the O’Plaine Campus. At the Almond Campus, a storage area was converted to four classrooms.
Enrollment continues to move upward and Warren Township High School continues to mark history each day through dedicated staff members, energetic students and a caring community.
|Last Updated on Tuesday, 21 June 2011 13:40|